L.A. Unified District officials are reviewing and changing the way complaints are received and teachers are treated while investigations are conducted into possible sex assault accusations after a flurry of employee arrests. More than nine teachers have been arrested in the first two months of 2012. Superintendent John Deasy has expressed horror and outrage over the way allegations have been handled in the past, and has promised to change the way they are handled in the future.
A complete list of the arrests, as of February 29th, 2012:
- John Juul Nielson, 53, Orange County High School, Dance Instructor. Suspicion of annoying a child (sending sexually suggestive text messages to a student). Arrested 29 Feb 2012.
- Corey Hogan, 32, George Washington Preparatory High School, band director. Suspicion of sex with a minor. Arrested 27 Feb 2012.
- Roger Wayne Talley, 53, Walnut Avenue Elementary School. Suspicion of lewd acts with a child. Arrested 27 Feb 2012.
- Gabriela Cortez, 42, Roosevelt High School, Spanish teacher. Suspicion of unlawful sexual intercourse. Arrested 23 Feb 2012.
- Jose Rosario Alvarez, 27, Francis Polytechnic High School, Athletic Assistant. Suspicion of unlawful sex with a minor. Arrested 23 Feb 2012.
- Alain Salas, 40, John C. Fremont Senior High School, Teacher’s Aide. Suspicion of contacting a minor with the intent to commit a sexual offense. Arrested 13 Feb 2012.
- Paul Adame, 37, Germain Elementary School, Janitor. Suspicion of inappropriate contact with a minor. Arrested 6 Feb 2012.
- Martin Springer, 49, Miramonte Elementary School, Teacher. Suspicion of lewd acts with a child. Arrested 3 Feb 2012.
- Mark Berndt, 61, Miramonte Elementary School, Teacher. Suspicion of lewd conduct with a child. Arrested 30 Jan 2012.