Rare Hantavirus Kills Yosemite Camper

One camper has died and another remains hospitalized after contracting hantavirus at the Curry Village Campground in Yosemite National Park. The man and woman, who were not camping together, both tested positive for the extremely rare virus. Only 600 cases have been reported since 1993. The virus is passed to humans from rodents, and was found in deer mice near the campsite.

Symptoms will appear one to six weeks after infection and start with fever, body aches and fatigue, followed by shortness of breath and coughing.

If you have come into contact with rodent droppings or urine, or have been bitten by a rodent, and are experiencing these symptoms, please contact your doctor.