Being a good negotiator is a vital skill in retaining a large settlement for your Los Angeles personal injury claim. To achieve a maximum settlement you will need to be patient, smart, aggressive and composed. An insurance adjuster will have a number of tactics that aim to settle your claim for as little as possible.
If you decide to negotiate your own personal injury claim, you should keep the following in mind:
- Do not submit your demand until after the adjuster’s first offer. Once the insurance adjuster gives an initial figure you may demand the policy limit or total your damages and send to the adjuster.
- Ask for more than you expect to get. Be sure to leave room for the adjustor to negotiate you down.
- Ask the insurance adjuster plenty of questions. Find out what his authority is. Get specific figures as to how much the adjuster allotted for each item. Do the math with him to confirm accuracy. Keep notes too.
- Negotiate your settlement in small concessions. Negotiating your concessions in small increments could work in your favor so that you receive a larger overall settlement.
- Be patient. Do not accept or counter an offer during the same meeting. Pushing the adjustor toward a quick settlement might make you appear desperate or in a hurry for money.
- Maintain your composure no matter what happens. You can affect an outcome of a deal simply by your demeanor.
- Do not show interest in the offer. Appear reluctant to settle.
- Tell the adjuster that you will be resorting to a higher authority before making the final decision. This could be a spouse or attorney friend.
Following these eight steps can help you better negotiate your personal injury claim. Remember, it is always a good idea to consult with an experienced personal injury attorneys in Los Angeles before you start your claim. The best injury lawyers will offer free consultations which I highly recommend taking advantage of.
[Image Julishannon via Flickr]